Monday 1 July 2013

Uber Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I think I have done it! I have finally tracked down the best chewy chocolate chip cookie out there. They look beautiful, they are thick (there is a trick I've never tried before and it worked perfectly) and they have almost too much chocolate in them. I did say almost.

This recipe utilizes cornstarch, which is something I have tried before and it does make them chewier. Up until today, I thought that this recipe was my favourite chocolate chip cookie. When I actually compare the recipe it is pretty much identical except for a few small tweaks. I guess I know what ratio of ingredients I like in my cookies. One of these being, I like more brown sugar to white sugar as it gives it a fuller flavour in my eyes.

But, this wasn't the only thing different than other cookies out there. It used melted butter and an extra egg yolk which is new to me for cookie recipes. I was very intrigued from the very beginning when I saw this recipe and knew I had to give it a go.

All that aside, what is even more great is that they turned out to be really thick and they were dense and almost cakey. I followed the instructions that said to roll the dough into balls and make them slightly taller than they are wide. So when they bake they stay thick. I rolled the dough into a ball in my hands and then just gave the ball a quick one sided roll between my hands again to form it into more of a cylinder. I then placed it on the cookie sheet and pushed it down a bit from the top so it would have a flat bottom and not roll onto its side during transportation over to the oven. It worked beautifully. I made these a second time though and just rolled them into a normal ball, and the cookies still turned out incredibly thick as well, they just didn't have that little extra oomph. So either way really works.

The only thing I did differently from the original recipe is, like always, I increased the amount of vanilla.

One mistake I did make was on my 3rd cookie sheet I put in the oven (I had made a double batch) I had two extra cookie dough balls. Not wanting to deal with having to clean up one of my already used sheets for just 2 cookies I decided to rearrange and try to cram these extras onto the sheet. Unfortunately, my 3rd cookie sheet is the smaller of them all and it was already crammed to begin with. When I pulled them out of the oven it looked like I had make chocolate chip cookie monkey bread. It all tasted the same, but as a warning, because these are rolled taller, they appear like you can squish them onto a cookie sheet because they don't take up as much of a footprint when unbaked. Just remember that they do spread (even though they still are thick), so watch for that.



Warning, if you like crunchy, well baked cookies stay away. You've been warned.

This amazing recipe is from Sally's Baking Addiction.

Makes 2 1/2-3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 C. Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 Tsp. Cornstarch
1/2 Tsp. Salt
3/4 C. Butter, melted
3/4 C. Brown Sugar, loosely packed
1/2 C. White Sugar
1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
2 1/4 Tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Chocolate Chips

Directions

~Combine dry ingredients (flour, soda, cornstarch & salt) in a medium bowl. Toss to combine.
~In a large bowl whisk together butter and sugars until the sugars have dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
~Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix by hand.
~Add chocolate chips and mix in.
~Refrigerate for a couple of hours (I ran out of time and they sat over night in the fridge).
~Preheat oven to 325 F.
~Roll dough into balls and then shape into taller cylinders so they are taller than they are wide. Place on cookie sheet.
~Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they just begin the turn golden around the edges. Centre will still be soft and unbaked.

Enjoy

No comments: