Tuesday 2 July 2013

Coconut Granola


I finally bought coconut oil. I've heard 'wonderful' things about it (that I can't help but roll my eyes at) but we'll see. I really like it as a lotion though. Just by itself. No perfumes, no chemicals, just coconut oil. It smells amazing and it leaves your skin feeling great. I'm definitely going to cook with it. But I won't be taking x number of tablespoons of it a day or whatever advocates of it are currently doing. It is still a fat. Maybe it is a better fat, but that doesn't mean you can consume it without consequences. Everything in moderation. So I will be using it as a butter substitute for some things. Which is a good thing, because I don't actually use butter because of it being a dairy product. So I'm always using margarine which isn't real in the slightest.

First up on the coconut oil recipes is this granola. Very tasty. The batch isn't going to last very long I don't think. But it is a little sweet, not too sweet but if you don't like sweet granola then it would seem sweet. But that may just be because I only had sweetened coconut on hand, so that might play into it.

Recipe from Shutterbean

Makes ~ 5 Cups


Ingredients

3 C. Rolled Oats
3/4 C. Nuts, chopped  
3/4 C. Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1/3 C. Coconut Oil, melted
1/4 C. Maple Syrup
1/8 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt

Directions

~Preheat oven to 350 F
~Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well to evenly coat the mixture.
~Sprinkle brown sugar and salt over mixture and toss to coat.
~Spread mixture onto a rimmed baking dish or cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp. Stirring every so often.

Enjoy


No comments: