Wednesday 27 February 2013

Pastry


Bear with me while I post this recipe. Like my vanilla ice cream post I just want to have it up here by itself so I can find it easily without having to sift through multiple other steps of more complicated recipes (like the one I'm going to post next). So yes, this post is really just for my benefit (and yours too if you want. I guess I can share).

Recipe from the back of the Tenderflake box.

Makes shells for 3 complete pies with tops and bottoms

Ingredients

5 1/2 C. Flour
2 Tsp. Salt
1 lb Tenderflake Lard
1 Egg
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
Up to 1 C. Water

Directions

~Stir together flour and salt
~Cut in the lard until you get pea sized pieces
~In a measuring cup whisk the egg, add in the vinegar and top up with cold water to a total of 1 C.
~Stir the water mixture into flour mixture, adding a bit at a time and only add enough to make the dough cling together
~Gather dough into balls (6 balls - makes 3 top and bottom pies)
~Dough can be refrigerated if not ready to be used right away (just pull out at least 30 min. before rolling) - don't roll dough until you are ready for it at the end as it won't come off of the counter once it is left for awhile and warms up.
~Roll dough out on a well floured surface.
~Then do with it whatever pastry creation you have in mind.

No comments: