Tuesday 12 February 2013

Chocolate Malt Chocolate Chip Cookies



Well, I can finally check one thing off of my 'must-do' baking list. The list that narrows down my recipe file from about 1100 recipes to about 20 things. Why are these cookies so special, you might ask, well I can't honestly say. They are just different and I wanted to give it a go.

The only problem with these (and what took me so long to check off such a simple recipe from this list) was that malt powder contains milk ingredients. I can't make a cookie in our house that contains milk and not have some of another dairy free option available. But, every time I would make a normal chocolate chip cookie and then think I'll make these malted ones a few days later and have some overlap, well I turn around and the regular cookies are gone. Kinda like the last batch I made. The one who doesn't like chocolate or sweet things made the bag of them disappear. Hmm. He must have had some help.

Anyway, I've finally gotten around to them and I'm typing this up while the cookies are baking and so I don't know exactly what the finished product tastes like, but let me tell you the dough tasted pretty good. It was definitely different tasting than regular chocolate chip cookies. It had a lot more flavours to it and the malt made it taste nutty, so fingers crossed for the actual cookies. One thing though is that any cookie that seems to use shortening always bakes up very well.

So the final verdict on these is that they are pretty good (not my all time favourite, but definitely still worth eating) and don't taste too strongly of malt. A flavour that I had never tried up until buying the powder for this recipe and I was shocked to discover what it actually tasted like. Let me tell you, malted milk is not a hit in our house. But, these cookies don't taste like straight malt, they just taste good. So if you are looking for a strong malt presence I would suggest adding some more malt. I'm going to stick with it just how it is though, as it creates a very unique flavour.

Cookie recipe from Taste of Home.

Makes 5 dozen cookies

Ingredients

1 C. Golden Shortening
1 1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Malted Milk Powder
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
1 Egg
2 C. Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 C. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 C. Milk Chocolate Chunks

Directions

~Preheat oven to 375 F
~In large mixing bowl cream together shortening and sugar. Add in the malt powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla, and cream.
~Add egg and mix well.
~Combine flour, soda and salt and mix in with wet ingredients.
~Stir in chocolate.
~Roll into balls and place on cookie sheets
~Bake for 9-11 minutes.

Enjoy


No comments: