Wednesday 13 February 2013

Cheesy Italian Quinoa Bake

I've been looking forward to making this for a few weeks now and was happy to finally get around to it. I did kinda change it up a bit, and decided that the recipe I had, had some of the basics for an Italian Style Dish, so I went with it and this was what I ended up with. It has an incredible smell to it, but I didn't find that the flavour quite measured up to that smell. Everyone else who ate it said it was better than the Quinoa Mac & Cheese I made a week or so ago, but I had to disagree. All a matter of opinion though I guess. I was also told to stop with the quinoa for awhile, so oh well. 

Recipe adapted from Dinner, Dishes & Desserts who got it from The Healthy Apple.

Serves 8-10 people

Ingredients

1 1/2 C. Quinoa, uncooked
1 1/2 C. Water
1 1/2 C. Broth
3 Eggs
2 Tsp. Basil
1/4 Tsp. Sage
1 Tsp. Oregano
Salt
Pepper
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 C. Onion, diced
1 C. Tomatoes, diced
1 C. Mushrooms, diced
1 1/2 C. Mozzarella Cheese (I only had Aged Cheddar on hand), grated
2/3 C. Parmesan, divided
Marinara Sauce

Directions

~Rinse quinoa and cook in the water and broth in a saucepan until all the moisture has been absorbed. Allow to cool until it is just warm.
~Preheat oven to 375 F
~Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl.
~Season eggs with basil, sage, oregano, salt & pepper to taste, & garlic.
~When quinoa has cooled enough, mix into the egg mixture.
~Add onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese and 1/3 C. Parmesan. Mix to combine.
~Transfer mixture into a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 C. Parmesan
~Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden and crispy.
~Serve by itself or topped with marinara sauce.

Enjoy


No comments: