Sunday 10 February 2013

Apple Pie Muffins with Chocolate Streusel



I decided to forgo making this as a loaf, and instead made it into muffins because they bake a lot quicker and you don't have to worry about cutting them, etc. They smell (and taste) like apple cider actually and the top is very good. I used mac apples and so they just sort of melted away into the muffin itself. Next time I may change it up a little and use some granny smith's because I like the tang of a green apple, and being a harder apple they'll probably leave some chunks once baked.

The one thing about this recipe that caught me off guard was that it required you to use an electric mixer. Not that I'm complaining at all, I love any excuse to use my KA, but it was actually a first for me, having to use a mixer for muffins I mean. Every other recipe I've used has called for either melted butter or oil and so no need to cream the butter like this one did.

I would recommend using a darker chocolate chip for this recipe. As much as I love milk chocolate in baking, I think the semi sweet chocolate paired well with the other flavours in this recipe. Also, I found the amount of streusel that is made is a bit too much for 12 muffins, but better a little too much than not enough right?

This recipe was adapted from Dinners, Dishes & Desserts who adapted from Mommy's Kitchen who originally got it from BHG Best Comfort Food Magazine. Whew, that's quite the reference there!

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients

Streusel
1/3 C. Flour
1/3 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
3 Tbsp. Butter
3/4 C. Semi Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips

Muffins
1/2 C. Butter, softened
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1/3 C. Buttermilk
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
2 Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp. All Spice
1/8 Tsp. Nutmeg
Pinch Ginger
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1 C. All Purpose Flour
2 C. Apples, peeled & diced (2 medium apples)
1/3 C. Semi Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips

Directions

Streusel
~Combine all ingredients except the chocolate and mix with your fingers until it resembles a course meal (looks like sand).
~Add in the chocolate chips and mix to combine.
~Set aside

Muffins
~Preheat oven to 400 F
~In large mixing bowl cream butter and sugars until dissolved.
~Add in buttermilk and baking powder. Mix
~Mix in eggs & vanilla.
~Add spices, salt & flours and stir just until combined.
~Fold in the apples and the chocolate chips
~Spoon batter into greased (or lined) muffin tins
~Top generously with streusel topping.
~Bake for 5 minutes at 400 F, then decrease temperature to 350 F and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Enjoy

No comments: