Tuesday 29 January 2013

Honey Garlic Sauce



I've always enjoyed having a jar of honey garlic sauce in my fridge for stir fry. But I find there is two types of honey garlic sauce. You've got the liquidy one you get in the jar from the stir fry section of the store, or the thick and gooey and sticky one you get on wings or meatballs at a bar. I also find that the different textured ones have very different flavours (or maybe that's just the different brands talking), but I feel like their flavours are so different that they shouldn't be labeled as the same thing. So you're probably wondering, where am I going with this and I have to be honest, nowhere. I'm just rattling on and on and on. So I'll stop now.

Okay, so this sauce tasted amazing, it worked amazing, it was thick and gooey and sticky and it tasted exactly like the sauce we get on our wings at the bar we like, except for one tiny additional flavour in it that I suspect may be my addition of the chilli peppers. Anyway, a word to the wise, don't sit around over the stove and worry that it is not thickening. I was about 3 seconds away from dumping in another scoop of cornstarch when all of a sudden the entire sauce just magically changed. On that same note, don't walk away from the stove, it takes a bit but when it does change it is very quick and you need to be stirring.

This sauce is great on stir fry, would be excellent on wings or meatballs or anything you could really think of that would be better with some sugar and garlic drizzled over top.

Makes ~ 3/4 - 1C.

This recipe can be found over at GroupRecipes.com

Ingredients

3/4 C. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
3/4 C. Water
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp. Honey
3-4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Tsp. Dried Chili Peppers

Directions

~Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small pot and mix to combine.
~Add in water, soy sauce, honey, garlic and chillies.
~Bring mixture to a bowl, whisking constantly.
~When mixture changes from a watery to syrupy consistency (it's impossible to miss, if you are unsure, you haven't reached it yet) give it a few final stirs and you are done.

Enjoy

2 comments:

sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

I make stir fry probably about 4 times a week. I love it so much! And I am always looking for new sauces for all my chicken and veggies. This one is right up my alley. It looks and sounds amazing!

Elyse Hendry said...

We practically live off of stir fry veggies as well