Monday 28 January 2013

Hearty Raspberry & Orange Pancakes



I struggle with pancakes and because of that I'm kinda scared of them. Give me yeast doughs or pastry any day, but not pancakes. But, I'm trying to slowly get over my fears. Unfortunately it's not working so well. As you can see these are a bit dark on the outside. The funny thing I find with pancakes is I rarely have ever eaten a golden pancake like you see in magazines. I don't know how they do it, but I've never managed it, nor has my Dad who loves his perfect pancake. I think it all has to do with the type of pan you use. So I'm going to blame this one on the pan. The good thing though is while they don't look all that appealing they actually are. They look black and burnt, but they never seem to taste like that, and these ones are full of amazing flavour inside.

These are very heavy pancakes due to the greek yogurt and whole wheat flour in them, kinda like my Yogurt Waffles. One of these (and a few bites of a second one that I shared with Kona) was plenty. Top it off with some butter and some lemon curd and you are good to go.

One other thing, I know that it kind of defeats the purpose of putting dairy yogurt and soy milk in this, but for some reason I believe vanilla soy milk (even the fat-free variety) makes thicker and more flavourful pancakes. Try it and see (even with Aunt Jemima mixes it makes it taste home made).

Adapted from Baking Bites

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Egg
2/3 C. Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 C. Vanilla Soy Milk
1 Tbsp. Orange Juice
1/2 Orange, zested
1 Tbsp. Butter, melted
1 C. Raspberries, fresh or frozen & thawed

Directions

~In a medium bowl, combine flour, powder, soda, salt & sugar. Mix and set aside.
~In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, milk, OJ, zest & butter.
~Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until combined.
~Preheat a griddle or skillet and grease lightly.
~Scoop batter into hot pan (if too thick and doesn't spread, gently spread with the back of a spoon), and sprinkle top with raspberries. 
~Cook until brown and then flip and again cook until brown.

Enjoy


No comments: