Monday 15 October 2012

Basic Waffles



I have two confessions:

1) I didn't actually make these. I assisted (I guess the correct term would be prep-cook in the food world) my Dad because these are his 'special waffles' and I wanted to share this recipe with you because they are absolutely amazing (fluffy and light and everything a perfect waffle should be). Plus, I wanted to get all his hints and tricks for my own future reference (the ones that aren't written in the cookbook).

2) I haven't allowed myself to open my laptop for several days because I have found an internet black hole that is even deeper than Facebook, food blogging or even Pinterest. You say that's not possible, but it is. It's called travel planning. And I'm not just talking about finding an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. No, I'm talking full blown, three months backpacking through Europe planning. Basically I'll go search out one piece of information and hours later find myself cross eyed and my browser running at a snail's pace because I have so many windows open because this or that hyperlink sounded important. Yup, at least food blogging or Pinterest is largely about the pictures and the name or description of the item. ie. it's quick reading / looking. But with travel, you actually have to read the fine print, etc. etc. It's just been easier these last few days to avoid my computer. Instead I've been sticking to web browsing on my phone, because the tiny display ensures that I don't hang around too long.

Back to the food.

This recipe is from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, edited by Charlotte Turgeon. It's one of those cookbooks from the 80's that is 800 pages long and has 3 recipes per page and 1 picture. You guys all know what I'm talking about. Well, most recipes we wouldn't dare try in it (some are a bit bizarre to say the least and the rest are just trying to make the ordinary housewife into culinary goddesses of the exotic), but this waffle recipe we come back to time and time again and don't even think of changing any of the ingredients. It just works as it is (except we use soy milk instead of regular milk).

Makes 6-8 waffles

Ingredients

2 C. All Purpose Flour
3 Tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Sugar
3 Eggs, separated
1 3/4 C. Milk
1/2 C. Vegetable Oil

Directions

~Set out two large bowls and sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and sugar three times (sift it first into the largest of the bowls if there is a bowl size discrepancy, 2nd time into the other bowl and the 3rd time back into the largest bowl).
~In the above bowl that is not holding the flour mixture, beat the egg yolks until frothy. Then stir in the milk and oil. Pour into flour mixture and beat with hand held mixer until smooth.
~In a third bowl (medium size), beat egg whites until stiff peaks form then fold into the batter. Don't stir, gently fold and don't over mix.
~Pour enough batter onto your greased and preheated waffle iron and bake according to manufacturer instructions.
~Serve immediately after pulling from the iron (if they sit, they'll loose their crunchy exterior which makes these waffles shine.)

Enjoy




No comments: