Friday 14 September 2012

Grilled Apple Cheese Sandwich


Not much to say about this except it was just something I had to try. I've heard (and seen) about all these recipes / ideas for fancy schmancy grilled cheeses. Now I've in the past had a grilled cheese with ham on it or even tomatoes, both of which are pretty good tasting, but I always found the addition to the sandwich made the cheese go kind of funny (aka it never melted properly / went stringy as it should / etc). But, I like apple and I like grilled cheese and I though I should give it a try. I used a really flavourful apple (I know because I sampled a few slices before making the sandwich), but I can honestly say that I really didn't taste the apple on the sandwich (maybe that's a good thing if you're trying to sneak in a fruits & veggies serving for the kiddos). So, my verdict is, I'm going to stick with plain old grilled cheese sandwiches.

Makes 1 Sandwich

Ingredients

2 Slices of Bread
1/2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise (yes I used it for once)
2 Tsp. Butter
1/4 of an Apple, thinly sliced (skin can be left on)
3-4 slices of Cheese

Directions

~Preheat either a frying pan or a panini press/grill.
~Spread mayonnaise on one side of one slice of bread.
~Place apple and cheese slices on top of the mayonnaised side of the bread.
~Put the second slice of bread on top.
~Butter the top outer side of the sandwich.
~Flip sandwich over and place buttered side down onto heated pan / grill.
~Butter the top surface.
~Grill until both sides are golden brown and the cheese begins to ooze around the edges.
~Pull off of heat and allow to sit for a minute.
~Slice in half.

Enjoy

No comments: