Thursday 6 September 2012

Chocolate-PB-Oatmeal (No-Bake) Cookies



Unfortunately, I'm still ovenless. Meaning that I'm also cookieless. I've now officially cleared out the freezer of every extra cookie I had hidden away. So I went on a hunt-a rather difficult hunt actually-to find a no-bake cookie recipe. What I came up with was this one. It seems that basically all the no-bake cookies are only a slight variation from this one. Some use less peanut butter or more or less oatmeal, or a different amount of vanilla, but for the most part they are the same.

I was impressed with these cookies as far as no-bake go, but if I make them again I think I'll substitute in nutella instead of peanut butter. Because even though I can tolerate a bit of peanut butter in desserts, I found it a bit overwhelming of a flavour in these cookies.

I was pleasantly surprised that even though these cookies had a fair amount of oatmeal in them, they were more than just dry, oatmeal filled cookies. I probably won't go out of my way to make these again once my oven is fixed (the PB version...I might make a nutella version), but they definitely satisfied the craving currently.

On another very positive note, I'm now for the most part done with all my plums. So it's back to chocolate time we go.

This recipe is from the Food Network.

Makes: 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients

2 C. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Cocoa
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Milk (I used vanilla low fat soy milk)
1 C. Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
3 C. Oatmeal

Directions

~In a saucepan, melt the butter, then add the sugar, cocoa and milk. Stirring constantly as you bring it to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
~Add the peanut butter and vanilla, and stir to melt.
~Mix in the oatmeal and reduce the heat. Cook oatmeal until it begins to soften.
~Drop mixture by the spoonful onto a wax paper lined (or greased) cookie sheet.
~Place sheets into fridge to cool and set.
~Remove cookies from cookie sheets when set and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Enjoy




No comments: