Friday 10 August 2012

Peanut Butter Oat Fudge Bars (No Bake)



So as I believe I've already mention, I don't currently have an oven. You think that's bad enough, but I also have a horrible suspicious that I don't actually have a working hot water tank either. As my last 3 showers have ended up being ice cold. Yeah, that may not sound out of the ordinary for some people, but trust me, I've lived here for over ten years and this is the first time I've ever had a cold shower in this house. Not good I tell you.

But back to the no oven issue, because you guys really don't care if I shower right? The one benefit of the internet. So I got all excited that I had an opportunity to make dessert for this weekend for people other than my direct family / coworkers. Then the awful realization hits, that not many good things can be made without an oven. Or so I thought, I have to take that back now, because I've found this recipe. It is utter, pure bliss. Trust me. Too good, and too easy not to try. And you don't even have to turn the oven on, just the stove top (you probably could get away with just using the microwave if you really are anti-heat right now). I'm not anti-heat ever. I just spent the past weekend in what was practically a dessert and loved it, only to have to return home to 15 degree cooler weather and hearing everyone complain about how 'hot' it is at 21 Celsius. Some people just need to go live at the top of Everest, because they obviously missed out when they were being taught geography, because we live in one of the coolest and wettest places around. Hmm, except when it starts raining they complain that the sun doesn't shine. Ever!

...End rant.

Return to food talk...

This recipe is doubled from what the original called for. If you want to half what I have posted here, prepare it in a 9x9 pan.

This recipe is from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients

2 C. Butter
1 C. Brown Sugar
4 Tsp. Vanilla
6 C. Quick Cooking Oats
2 C. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 C. Peanut Butter
1/4 C. of your favourite chocolate (I used milk chocolate bar), melted

Directions

~Grease a 9x13 baking dish (or a 12x12 as I did)
~In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla until dissolved.
~Add in the oats. Stir continuously while they cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly softened.
~Divide mixture into 2 parts. Press half into the bottom of the prepared pan, reserving the other half for later.
~In a microwave safe dish, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter and stir well to combine.
~Spread mixture over top of crust and smooth with a knife.
~Place in fridge for 30 minutes or until chocolate has begun to set.
~Spread the reserved half of the oat mixture evenly onto the chocolate layer. Press gently to adhere it to the layer below.
~Melt remaining chocolate in the microwave on high heat and drizzle over top of the bar.
~Return to fridge for 2-3 hours to set completely.
~Cut into bars.

Enjoy (either straight from the fridge or at room temperature).



No comments: