Tuesday 31 July 2012

Yogurt Waffles



According to the original recipe, these were supposed to be very light and melt in your mouth. I didn't find that, but then again I decided to switch things up a bit and makes these a little bit healthier by using part whole wheat flour and greek yogurt instead of plain yogurt. So they were pretty dense and a little chewy on the outside. But because of this, unlike with normal waffles, I felt full after eating them. And by full, I mean I couldn't even think of eating anything else for a long, long time. There ended up being a lot of protein in these, so that would be the cause of my 'fullness.' Or it could be that the batter was not liquidy like the normal waffles we make. Instead it was like paste it was so thick.

I really enjoyed these, I made them on a morning that it was only myself at home, so I had nobody else's opinion on them, but I don't think everyone in the house would like them. Primarily because they are 'different' from the waffles that we have eaten for so long. So, not 'bad' just 'different.' Typically our waffles are light and incredibly fluffy and you could eat about a half dozen of them because they are just like eating glorified air. These ones are the exact opposite. So, instead of eating one of our old recipe that was enough waffle to fill the entire waffle iron, these ones that I made, I stretched the batter thin and ended up with smaller waffles. Which was a good thing in the end. I strongly encourage you to make 6 waffles out of this recipe. You could (if you're using the same size round waffle iron as I am) really get only 4 normal sized waffles out of this, but don't do that to yourself, seriously. Go for the 6.

This recipe came from Bake-aholic.

Makes: 6 Smaller (or 4 Normal Size) Waffles     [Go for the 6]


Ingredients

1 C. All Purpose Flour
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tbsp. Baking Soda
1 3/4 C. Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
2 Eggs, separated
3 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Directions

~In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, powder and soda. Set aside.
~In a medium bowl, whisk yogurt, egg yolks and butter together. 
~Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a few strokes to form a (very) lumpy batter.
~Preheat waffle iron.
~In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
~Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter. (They don't fold well, because of how thick this batter is, but try your best to get them fully incorporated into the batter.)
~Cook waffles according to the instructions for your waffle iron.
~Top with whatever toppings you desire.

Enjoy

Nutrition Facts

Serves: 6
Calories: 253
Carbs: 32 g
Fat: 7 g
Protein: 13 g

No comments: