Friday 20 July 2012

Inside-Out Nachos



Inside-Out Nachos or maybe better still, Upside-Down Nachos. Whatever you call this gooey looking mess, you can't deny that it is awesome. It tastes awesome, and is also awesomely simple to make. You see, we were out shopping and came across some great little tomatoes. They were bigger than the biggest cherry tomato I've ever seen, but smaller than a roma (but still round). Anyway, so I got thinking that I'd like nachos when I got home, but I hadn't had dinner yet and nachos really don't satisfy me for dinner. Plus, they really aren't all that good for you. So I came home and in less time than it took to put all the groceries away, I had this whipped up. You can serve this as either a side or a main dish, depending on your situation, because it does contain all the food groups. That is, if you count whole grain tortilla chips as from the grain food group. Try it, it's a much healthier alternative to nachos, but still has the same flavours.

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 C. Meat, cubed (I used a left-over pork roast, but you could easily cook up some ground beef, turkey, etc.)
1/2 C. Salsa
1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1/2 Bell Pepper, chopped
3 White Mushrooms, chopped
1 Medium Tomato, chopped
3/4 C. Tortilla Chips (I used the whole grain ones)
1/3 C. Cheese, grated

Directions

~Prepare your meat any way you want into bite size chunks. (I cubed the previous day's pork roast.)
~Place meat and salsa in a microwave safe bowl. Stir to evenly coat the meat.
~Sprinkle mixture with cumin.
~Add pepper, mushroom and tomato. Stir to evenly distribute everything.
~Microwave on high just long enough to heat everything through (for me this was about 2.5 minutes).
~Measure out chips and break them into small (quarter size) pieces. Add to heated mixture and stir to combine.
~Spoon mixture onto dishes and top with grated cheese. 
~If cheese doesn't melt you can return the dish to the microwave for 20 seconds.

Enjoy


No comments: